Skip to Main Content

Student Visa

If you are an international student joining Hertfordshire International College for a full-time, on-campus undergraduate or postgraduate course, you must ensure that you have valid leave to stay in the UK. This may involve needing to apply for a Student visa to study in the UK if you do not have other permission in place.


To be eligible for this, you must:

  • Have been offered a place on a course
  • Speak, read, write and understand English
  • Have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the University
  • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course (the amount will vary depending on your circumstances)
  • Meet any other eligibility requirements

What is a CAS Statement?

The CAS statement is a summary of the more detailed data held in your CAS file on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) database. The UKVI will be checking your application for a UK Study Visa against this information, so it is vital that the visa application form you submit copies the information exactly as it is on the CAS statement.

Once you meet all conditions and pay your tuition fee deposit in accordance to your offer letter, you will be issued with a P-CAS. The aim of this document is to make sure we hold your correct personal details on our system; these include your name, date of birth, nationality, contact details and course details. If anything is incorrect, please contact us by replying to the email that sent you your P-CAS.

At this stage you will need to provide financial evidence and a TB Certificate. You will get a final CAS once you have met all the academic and non-academic conditions of your offer and confirmed the details of the P- CAS.  This final CAS will contain a unique number that you will need to input on your visa application.

Applying for a student Visa

Apply as early as possible for your visa, if you are waiting for a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance), you can prepare for your supporting documents in the meantime.

1. Submit your application

As part of your application, you’ll need to prove your identity by one of the following ways:

  • give your fingerprints and a photograph (biometric information) at a visa application centre
  • use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document – you’ll also create or sign into your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account

You’ll be told what you need to do when you apply.

Once you’ve started your application, you can save your form and complete it later.

2. How long it takes to get a decision

You’ll usually get a decision within 3 weeks.

You may be able to pay to get a faster decision

3. After you get a decision

If your application is successful, you’ll get either:

4. Bringing Dependants

The UKVI only allow PHD and research-postgraduate students to bring dependants with them. Unfortunately, HIC do not offer any pathways that allow for this. You may, however, be eligible to bring dependants in once you have completed your studies, if you obtain a graduate visa.

Useful Links

Back to Top